The Powder River Basin Section of the Society of Petroleum Engineers is pleased to make scholarships available to qualified applicants for the 2018-2019 academic year. Awarded amounts can range from $500 to $2000, with the number of scholarships awarded generally ranging from 10 to 20. Scholarship applicants should have a desire to pursue a career in the oil and gas industry, and meet the following requirements:
- Major in Engineering (preference to Petroleum Engineering); a portion of the scholarships may go to Non-Engineering students based upon recommendations by the committee.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Entering freshmen, sophomore, junior, or senior of a four year program, or freshmen or sophomore of a two year program.
Interested students should prepare a short (1 to 2 page) application letter detailing their qualifications and accomplishments, and should address the following items:
- Academic qualifications, including GPA.
- Primary career interests and reasons for same.
- Extracurricular activities and reasons for same.
- Names of three responsible references familiar with applicant’s academic and work history.
- Any other items of interest.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO THE REFERENCED ADDRESS POSTMARKED BY March 16, 2018
Scholarship recipients will be notified via mail by April 2018. Formal scholarship announcement will be presented at the SPE Scholarship Dinner Tuesday May 8, 2018 in Gillette, Wyoming. Scholarship checks will be issued directly to the student’s college account. The scholarship winners should be aware that the awards may be subject to tax under current laws.
Applications should be mailed to: SPE Scholarships
Attn: Shannon Johnston
P.O. Box 3977
Gillette, WY 82717
Questions should be directed to: Shannon Johnston